Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Scotland

 
"Not all who wander are lost"
 

 
Sunday March 18th:
Once we stepped foot on the plane, I was asleep for everything but takeoff and 10 minutes prior to landing.  We landed in Edinburgh, Scotland, and got a taxi to our hostel (The Hostel).  I was so surprised by the city, and it was not at all what I was expecting to see!  It was urbanized and hip.  I just assumed it was just going to be mountains with men in kilts, but it was a pleasant surprise.  After checking in, we walked around the city getting a feel for it, then we stopped at a café and got coffee and hung out a bit.  Again, we were welcomed to a city with the most appropriate soundtrack for our adventures!  We watched a street performer playing the bagpipes, and it was the perfect dose of reality!  We went back to the hostel to find that we had a new roomie, Anna, from Russia who was studying in London.  The three of us went out for Italian food (because it was close and cheap), and then we called it an early night due to my massive lack of proper sleep. 
Monday March 19th:
Ten full hours later, we were ready to start our new day soaking in the likes of everything Scottish!  We stopped at a grocery store and packed a light lunch for the day.  We walked along Princes Street which was chalked full of stylish shops and stores including New Look, Urban Outfitters, Gap, etc.  The UO was the nicest one I’d ever seen, and I loved it!!  Scotland was so much more fashion oriented than I thought!  We walked to Calton Hill park, enjoying the elevation and the view.  We saw some mountains in the distance, and decided we would go there next.  We had our lunch on a hill in soft, comfy grass on Calton hill first, and then continued.  We reached Holyrood Park and headed up a dirt path for more exploring of the beautiful Scotland landscape!  “Onwards and Upwards” was the theme of the day. We traversed the mountains like champions, and we faced the insane wind.  I took hundreds of pictures, and every moment was outstanding!  We took videos of our selves frolicking through the fields at the top of the first mountain, and then we continued to its highest peak.  The winds were incredible here, and it could have catapulted anyone under 100 lbs. off the face of the landscape, I’m sure!  We ventured down, took some more pictures, laid in the grass, and headed back up another mountain with ruins and a cave.  At the bottom of this one was a pond, again, overflowing with swans and pigeons.  Holyrood Park was my absolute favorite part of the trip so far, and I was in love with Scotland!  We finished out the exploring by stopping by Edinburgh University and went to the Edinburgh Castle to see the view.  When we got back to the hostel after a long day, we were welcomed again by new roomies, Emily, Holly, and Ann from Brighton College!  Colleen and I went to dinner at a nice pub and we got our Scottish meal containing haggis and roasted vegetables: leeks and squash!  Haggis was delightful- except for the concept of what’s in it.  We went on another night stroll, and prepared to head out the next morning:(
Tuesday March 20th:
We checked out of our hostel, went out for breakfast at a sweet little organic place called Urbanangel, and we splurged on a fantastic breakfast.  I had organic oatmeal w/ honey and tattie scones and an almond croissant.  We arrived at the train station and boarded for London.  I was really excited about the long ride across the country so that I could see the beautiful land at an accelerated rate!  There were so many acres of green grass and white, fluffy sheep!  Also, it provided me time to catch up on my blog since I hadn’t kept up with it since leaving for Paris!  With London left to go, I am very satisfied with all my travels, and I am falling in love with Europe even more because of it!


















1 comment: