Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Avignon and Paris 3/5-3/13






Avignon: 3/5-3/7
We arrived at our hostel, and my roommates were Devon, Kellie, and Colleen.  We did a walking tour of the windy city.  We were guided through the Cardinals’ monastery and cloister.  We went to the Popes’ Palace the next day and got a guided tour via headphones on foot.  It was a very large museum of the past Catholic history of Avignon.  Great place to overlook the city.  After that, we went to the Doucet Museum.  There was a collection of many well-known artists.  Avignon is famous for the Pont de Avignon which is a bridge that used to have 22 arches, but now it only stretches half way across the river with six arches. This was Avignon, and we were all excited to experience Paris!
















Paris: 3/7-3/12
Flânerie
Wed. 7th: upon arrival, checked into hostel and then jumped on metro from Glacier to Passy and had our first walking tour by night.  We were welcomed into the city with accordion street performers to set the scene and offer us a soundtrack for life.  We arrived at the Eiffel Tower.  At every hour it twinkles and puts on a beautiful show. 
Thurs. 8th: Musee d’Orsay, Louvre (Delacroix, Michelangelo, Monet, Manet, etc.).  Then we went to Gerry’s friend’s exhibition gallery.
Fri. 9th: Birthday! Eiffel Tower with Olivia for a beautiful lookout flat.  We had time for shopping and then Olivia took us to a little Chinese lunch.  We then, went to La Defense de Paris with its famous arch.  There, we had Sophie’s class.  Next was the Arc de Triomphe!  We got to be in the ceremony of the Unknown Soldier, and as a birthday present to me, I got to lead the processional by carrying the flowers with Joe.  That night, we went to the Piano Bar.  Awesome live music in a great setting.
Sat. 10th: Today we had time to go out on our own to visit some assigned museums.  Kellie and I were paired up, so we took advantage of the metro pass and went to the other side of the city and found some flea markets.  From there we went to the Museum of Modern Art.  We broke off and I walked to the muse of Rodin to see one of my favorite displays of art: sculpture.  Found that it was closed for renovation:( So, I jumped back on the metro and went toward Petit Palais and Grand Palais.  I walked around for a bit looking at the golden monuments.  I grabbed some lunch at a patisserie and kept walking.  Next, we met up again, and Gerry took us to another artist-friend’s gallery.  This artist used wood chips and a dripping method.  After a long day of walking, I took a load off my feet and rested the rest of the night.
Sunday 11th: Colleen , Kellie and I went vintage flea market shopping.  It was exactly what we were looking for!  We gathered again for mass at Notre Dame de Paris.  Even without Eric, our professor, we were able to identify that it was the epitome of a perfect Gothic pilgrimage church.  We had lunch at a Moroccan place after mass, and we enjoyed couscous stew and mint tea .  A few of us then went to Shakespeare and Company book store!  I plopped down on a couch and read a book for a while, and then I ventured out again to do some more flanerie!  I went back to the Louvre to waltz around the Tuilierie gardens (ponds and sailboats).  Then I found my way to Champs-Elyses.  I loved seeing in person what you usually only see in movies.  I was able to stand at the places shown in Midnight in Paris, in The Devil Wears Prada, and so many more!  I loved it!
Monday 12th: We went to Montmontre which looks more like a mosque  temple.  We heard harp playing.  Next, we had flafful.  It was so yummy:  chick pea pita thing.  I had carrot juice to go along with it!  Gerry took us to a small basement venue to see Annick Cisaruk.  The accordion playing and her voice was wonderful! I absolutely loved this experience. 
Tues. 13th: Last day in Paris:  We went to Versaille and walked around the palace and gardens.  Colleen and I went back to pick up our luggage and then walked around the opera house in Paris before heading out to start our spring break plans.   We arrived at the airport for the most lovely airport experience all by ourselves.  It was so incredibly easy and painless. 
Overall, Paris was brilliant! I loved every minute of it, and I will be going back one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment